About the Shenzhen Global Design Award (SDA)
In parallel with the Shenzhen Design Week, the Shenzhen Global Design Award is organized to recognize and reward outstanding designers with creativity, vision, foresight, and influence.designers from different countries and inspire the industrialization of designs as well as the promotion of design thinking.
The 3rd SDA targets 5 categories: Industrial & Product / Communication / Architecture / Interior / Fashion.
While its most eye-catching feature is the total prize of 1,000,000 CNY, SDA strives to brand and promote the winning designs and their authors through various activities, such as tour of exhibitions, constant media coverage, etc. Thus, SDA will become one important and effective window through which foreign designers and design institutions could enter the huge Chinese market.
About the Shenzhen Design Week
The Shenzhen Design Week is a big initiative engineered by the authorities to support the design communities. With the first edition starting in late April 2017, it is an international annual design event sponsored by the Shenzhen Municipal Government, administered by the Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Office, and organized by Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association (SDPA).
It aims to provide platforms for international exchange, communication and cooperation in various design categories. It also provides good opportunities for designers from around the world to showcase their talents through different events such as exhibitions, workshops, and forums, etc.
Scholars, policy makers, managers, students in relevant fields and professional designers all over the world are welcome to participate in these events happening simultaneously during one week over different parts of the city.
About the City of Shenzhen
Being the first special economic zone in China, Shenzhen grows from a small fishermen village of 300,000 people ashore South China Sea to a metropolis of over 20 million with the nation’s fastest growing economy in just 40 years.
Recognized as the birth place of China’s modern design, Shenzhen has been attracting design talents around the country and her flourishing design industries cover various categories, including graphic, industrial and product, fashion, architectural, interior, etc.
In 2008, Shenzhen was designated the City of Design by UNESCO and joined the Creative Cities Network which currently consists of 180 members.
In recent years, the Municipal Government of Shenzhen has been strongly supporting the design communities and boosting the design industries with large investments, aiming to transform the manufacturing hub of the world into a premium design hub.
AWARDS & PRIZES
The 3rd SDA targets 5 categories: Industrial & Product / Communication / Architecture / Interior / Fashion. Each category respectively has its jury panel and each jury panel is responsible for selecting the Gold, Silver, Bronze and Nomination Award winners within the category.
1. The “Special Award for Sustainable Development” is set up to reinforce the public interest and future-oriented nature of SDA. This special award winner will be named by the special final jury composed of the chairmen and vice-chairmen of four Juries, one for each category.
2. Winner of the Special Award will be chosen from all entries and are not limited to projects that have already received other awards. Winner of the Special Award can also be winner of other awards.
3. All prizes are pre-tax amount. All prizes are subject to income tax following local law, or SDA Secretariat can pay the prize after paying tax on winners’ behalves.
1. The payment of the prize will be arranged after the SDA Awarding Ceremony and paid following fiscal regulations and tax procedures of the People’s Republic of China. Taxes of up to 20% may be levied on winnings.
2. The payment of the prize could take up to 6 months (starting from the second day of SDA Awarding Ceremony). Winners are required to provide all the materials needed for the payment to the SDA secretariat before deadline. If submission of materials is delayed, the recipient of the prize changes or any other situation happens on the winner’s account, the SDA Secretariat has the right to postpone the payment and Secretariat’s explanation shall be final.
3. International winners are strongly suggested to receive the prize via personal bank account. If Recipient differs from the winner, a signed/stamped authorization letter is required for payment.
01 October 2019 – 09 February 2020
- Call for entries
9 February 2020
- Online registration deadline
10 February 2020— 12 February 2020
- Initial review
7 March 2020
- Tangible projects submission deadline(Arrival date at the secretariat)
14 March 2020 — 15 March 2020
- Final Judging
16 April 2020
- Awarding ceremony
Public buildings & facilities
General, including community buildings, institutional buildings, administration buildings, monuments, religious buildings, schools & universities, etc.
Infrastructure, including airports, bus stations, parking facilities, port facilities, railway stations, etc.
Cultural and sports amenities, including stadiums, arenas, libraries, museums, theaters, opera houses, concert halls, training centers, conference centers, etc.
Urban & Landscape
Urban and landscape planning, public facilities, public playing equipment, outdoor areas, public revitalization or restoration projects, etc.
Public Exhibition & Installation
Includes architecture and installation (digital, interactive, bricks-and-mortar etc.) in public exhibition and public spaces etc.
Public and Cultural Spaces
Public hospitals, shared spaces, stadiums, schools, churches, museums, concert halls, theatres & opera houses, bookstores, etc.
Shopping malls, shopping centres, retail stores & exclusive shops, marketing centres, hotels, private clinics, etc.
Resort hotels, resort villages, B&Bs, clubs, restaurants, cafes, bars, etc.
Offices & Accommodation
Office buildings for large entreprises, commercial buildings, studios, apartments, villas, housing mockups, etc.
Industrial & Product
Including 3C products & accessories (computer, communication & consumer electronics), gaming devices & accessories, VR devices & accessories, etc.
Automobiles & Vehicles
Including cars, ships / boats / yachts, trains, airplanes, accessories & devices, entertainment systems, etc.
Sports & Leisure
Including sports equipment, fitness and activity trackers, outdoor products, hiking gear, bicycles & accessories, musical instruments, pet products, etc.
Babies & Kids
Including all products for babies and kids, lifestyle accessories for children and babies, playground equipment, kitchen aids, toys, school essentials, teaching supplies, etc.
Including lounge furnishings, office accessories, office equipment, stationary, etc.
Including lamps, built-in lighting, ceiling lighting, decorative lighting, mobile lighting, outdoor lamps, construction lighting, solar-powered lamps, guidance systems, etc.
Including kitchen appliances, household appliances, cookware and tableware, home furniture, bath and sanitary wares, gardening tools, etc.
Medicine & Health
Including assisted living products & technology, clinical and laboratory equipment, medical / healthcare devices & equipment, skincare devices, etc.
Including autonomous mobile robots, exploration robots, humanoid robots, industrial robots, medical robots, service robots, toy robots, robotic components, etc.
Including projects that optimize a service for customers/users regarding their needs in life, service and consumption. The project can be an improvement of an existing service or development of a new service. Design challenges, processes and outcomes must be included in the presentation of the entry, including specific measures and service design methods to solve the problem.
including men’s apparel, women’s apparel, children’s apparel, homewear, lingerie, functional apparel, e.g. safety clothing & personal protective equipment design, clothing for special needs (for elderly, disabled, infant), uniform & occasion apparel, etc.
including belts, bridal fashion, jewelry, eyewear, watch, gloves, hair accessories, hats & caps, mobile & tablets accessories, scarf, footwear, smart accessories, swimwear & accessories, wallets & purses, etc.
Bags & luggage
including handbags, schoolbags, suitcases, backpacks, travelling bags, briefcases, camera bags, carrier bags, dry bags, etc.
Identity & Branding
Including corporate design & identity, brand design & identity, etc.
Including digital Campaigns, direct marketing, image campaigns, integrated campaigns, out-of-home & ambient, print campaigns, promotions, social campaigns, product and advertising brochures, POS advertising, content marketing, etc.
Including packaging of CDs & LPs, fashion, beverages, food, beauty, health, household, leisure, lifestyle, consumer electronics, etc.
Publishing & Print Media
Including books, brochures, calendars, cards & flyers, magazines, annual reports and other publications, etc.
Including advertising illustrations, cover illustrations, editorial illustrations.
Including art posters, events & exhibitions, infographic posters, poster series.
Typography & Signage
Including pictograms, signets, signage, symbols, wayfinding, orientation systems, brochures & catalogues, books & covers, film titles, information systems, etc.
Including E-Commerce, E-magazine, E-paper, landing pages, microsites, news portals, newsletters, online platforms, online shops, social media, corporate websites, public service websites, community / networking websites, App, etc.
Interface & User Experience Design
Including operating systems, screen design, smart home solutions, user Interfaces, virtual reality, wearable technology solutions, etc.
Film and Animation
Including documentaries, film craft, image films, movie openers, videos, online films, short films, station IDs, trailers, TV commercials, visual effects, motion graphic, etc.
REGISTRATION AND APPLICATION
Entrants must register on the official website of the Award and upload supporting documents (all materials must be written in English) before 17:00, 9 February 2020 (GMT+8:00) by following the steps below:
REGISTER & CREATE MY ACCOUNT
- Read the terms and conditions carefully, create username and password before logging in.
COMPLETE PROJECT INFO ONLINE
- Complete designer (individual/team/company)and project information and submit.
DELIVER MY PROJECT
- After passing the preliminary examination, the works and additional materials shall be sent to the warehouse before due date.
1. Please do NOT deliver projects to the Secretariat office! Address of the warehouse will be sent to entrant’s registered email together with confirmation of passing the phase one evaluation.
2. After materials pass the examination of the Secretariat, entrants must submit the supporting and other legal documents requested by the SDA Secretariat by 17:00, 1 March, 2020 (GMT+8:00). Click here to download the template.