Have you asked yourself the tough questions?
Regardless of our age, at each stage of life, we should take a moment to take stock, to do a self-evaluation. We should know who we are and understand what we want. We should have asked ourselves the tough questions, see ourselves clearly, and make adjustments if necessary. This doesn’t guarantee success but it guarantees that you will feel good about how you are living your life. Here are some things we should always be able to say about ourselves:
- I have followed my heart. I have trusted my inner voice to lead me even when there were easier roads. I have done the ‘right’ thing. I have been true to myself.
- I have looked for the positive. I have treated every situation as a blessing or a lesson. I have kept hope and optimism on the forefront.
- I am responsible. I have taken credit and held myself accountable. I’ve made no excuses, nor blamed another. I am the star of my show, and I own up to me.
- I am grateful. I am grateful for the life I’ve been given. I’m grateful for every opened and closed door. I am grateful for the hope of more to come.
- I have forgiven. I have forgiven any and everyone who has wronged me. I forgive because I can never fully understand their situation and because holding a grudge only holds me back.
- I have no regrets. Good, bad, or otherwise, I will never regret any opportunity, even if it turned out badly. I have loved, laughed, and lived to the best of my ability, and I will never be sorry.
- I am honest with myself. I am able to look at the face in the mirror and tell them the truth. Who I am and who I want to be, what I love and what I want to change, where I am and where I want to go. This is how dreams become reality.
- I am proud of myself. I am proud of my accomplishments. Mostly, I am proud of the person I am. In the end, I will be remembered for the kind, honest, hard-working, giving, and fair person that I am.
- I am not a quitter. I do not say, ‘I can’t’. I never give up, and I never give in. I give my all to every endeavor.
- I am not finished. As long as I have breath, I will continue to live and laugh and give, and try. There is always a door that is open if only just a crack.
As the old saying goes, ‘we must first love ourselves’. Give yourself a break. Change what you can, and be the best you you can be.
Originally posted on Inc.
Rhett Power is Best-Selling Author, Executive Coach, Columnist at Forbes, Inc. & Success. Rhett Power co-founded Wild Creations in 2007 and quickly built the startup toy company into the 2010 Fastest Growing Business in South Carolina. Wild Creations was named a Blue Ribbon Top 75 US Company by the US Chamber of Commerce and named as one of Inc. Magazine’s 500 Fastest Growing US Companies two years in a row. He and his team have won over 40 national awards for their innovative toys. He served in the US Peace Corps and is a graduate of the University of South Carolina. He now has a rapidly growing coaching and consulting practice based in Washington DC.