The 2019 Bi-city Biennale of the UrbanismArchitecture (Shenzhen) Light Show & Urban Light Art Museum Creative Design Competition was officially launched Tuesday to call for submissions of innovative design works for the Shenzhen light show.
Chinese and international new media artists, teachers and students from art academies and relevant art institutions are welcome to participate. There is no entry fee and the submission deadline is Sept. 30.
The light show project in the CBD area of Shenzhen takes the buildings and the open public space surrounding the civic center as the carrier and display interface, presenting a unique nightscape featuring the civic center and Ping An Finance Center.
Since September 2018, various light shows have been successively held in the CBD area with the theme of “Glorious New Era”, “Dream City” and “Vibrant City”, among which the “Glorious New Era” light show was broadcast by CCTV’s Oriental Time and Space (Dongfang shikong), and draw attention from home and abroad.
Relying on the strategy of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, Shenzhen is committed to building itself into an innovative, entrepreneurial and creative capital with global influence.
Through the light show at the CBD area, the 2019 Bi-City Biennale of Urbanism\Architecture (Shenzhen) [hereinafter referred to as “UABB (Shenzhen)”] and Urban Light Art Museum Creative Design Competition will provide a free and open platform for art creators around the world to showcase the creative achievements of individuals and teams.
Turning the light show into a new media public art exhibition aims to improve the city’s artistic taste and enrich its cultural connotation, so as to builde the image of Shenzhen as a fashionable, dynamic and innovative international city.
II. Organization Units
The Municipal Government of Futian Disitrict, Shenzhen
Urban Administration and Law Enforcement Bureau of Shenzhen
Urban Administration and Law Enforcement Bureau of Futian District, Shenzhen
Shenzhen Light Environment Management Center
Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association
1. Theme: Urban Interactions
Bi-City Biennale of Urbanism\Architecture (hereinafter referred to as “UABB”) is the first biennale in the world based exclusively on the themes of URBANISM and URBANIZATION.
Co-organized by the two neighboring and closely interacting cities of Shenzhen and Hong Kong, UABB situates itself within the regional context of the rapidly urbanizing Pearl River Delta, concerns itself with globally common urban issues, extensively communicates and interacts with the wider public. It presents contemporary visual culture, and engages in internationality, avant-gardism, and the discourses of public interest.
The theme of 2019 UABB (Shenzhen) is “Urban Interactions”. The exhibition is scheduled to open at the Futian Railway Station and the surrounding areas, the Main Venue, in Shenzhen in December 2019.
In the deepening process of global spatial connectivity and regional integration, Urban Interactions have become a universal topic featuring both philosophical significance and valuable innovative application.
Urban interactions involve interactions between cities, between city and people, and between people in cities. In a sense, the city itself is a giant and complicated outcome of “system interactions”.
With the emergence of more and more new interaction technologies (such as high-speed inter-city railway, big data and cloud computing, IoT, and AI recognition technology), from virtual space to daily life, physical urban interface to human society organization, and global production-consumption system to large urban clusters across regions, more and more unprecedented phenomena like “super city”, “super species” and “super society” will emerge.
New relations including urban interactions, human-computer interactions, social interactions are gradually shaping and forming a new domain that humanity is about to face in the near future.
Competitors need to incorporate the characteristics of Shenzhen, featuring fashion, vigor and innovation into their works, which should not only demonstrate the modernization and internationalization of the city, but also reflect the interrelation between lighting aesthetics and architectural space.
In addition, the works should be able to be displayed on the facade of the buildings, and be coherent in content and coordinated in layout to balance between artistic design and technical realization.
2. Eligible Participants
Chinese and international new media artists, teachers and students from the academy of arts, related institutions, organizations, enterprises and public institutions of new media art and design, etc.
(1) Requirements for works: The content of the light show should be created based on the official creative design template (see attached the entry requirements), presented in video and accompanied by original music with copyright clearance.
(2) Requirements for video submission: The allowed formats include avi, mp4 and mov; video file resolution should be no lower than 1920 * 690 pixels, 25 frames per second; time length should be no less than 300 seconds. The H.264 video coding standard should be used for compression to ensure normal playback.
(3) Exhibition Venue: The works submitted for this competition are to display on the facade of 40 buildings in the CBD area of Shenzhen, competitors should take the physical characteristics of the buildings and light points into consideration to facilitate the realization of the video files on the facade and to obtain the best results.
4. Entry Methods
(1) Submission Method: Obtain the registration form and the official data package download path through HERE, and send the registration form, work description, video file and relevant documents to [email protected] within the specified registration time. For files that are too large, they can be copied to a USB flash drive and sent to the competition review team. The time of receipt of the works shall prevail (Cash on delivery is not suggested).
(2) Submission Requirements: Competitors should put the registration form, work description, video file and relevant documents in a folder that is named “UABB light show creative design competition + Name + Work Title”. The email subject should be the same with the folder name.
(3) Other Requirements: There is no limit on the number of entries per person or per team, but the same piece cannot be submitted with multiple names.
5. Entry Requirements
(1) Competitors must fully understand the design scope and display form of the work. Please refer to the official information package for details. Contents are listed as follows:
A. Application form for the 2019 UABB (Shenzhen) Light Show & Urban Light Art Museum Creative Design Competition;
B. Satellite map of the light show venues in the CBD area of Shenzhen (building map and names);
C. 3D model file of the buildings in the CBD area;
D. Creative design video template;
E. Former light show videos in the CBD area for reference;
a. Youtube – light up show in Shenzhen 2018
b. Youtube – “Vibrant City” light-up show in ShenZhen 2019
(2) Submitted videos must be original work by the competitors, without being published or presented before, and is neither involved in any intellectual property disputes and legal disputes, nor been or planned to be brought into production or sales in any form. In the event of plagiarization of others’ ideas or concepts, or in case of copyright or intellectual property right disputes, the competitor shall be held liable and will be disqualified from the competition.
(3) Submitted videos must be legal and lawful, and must not contain any suspected ethnic or religious discrimination, or other content that against social morality and customs.
(4) The prizewinner shall provide the source file of the AE project (including all materials) or the original video footage to facilitate the production within 3 days from the receipt of a notice from the organizer. The organizer reserves the right to adjust the entries based on the actual display conditions and technical requirements. Competitors shall actively cooperate with the organizer to revise the original work till the final version is determined. There is no entry fee for this competition and the submitted works shall not be sent back.
(5) The organizer reserves the right to use the winning entries for promotion, which includes but is not limited to: related publications, award ceremonies, tour events, collections, and the access to the media of television, internet, print or broadcast, and it reserves the legal tenure rights of the entries.
(6) Except for the bonus and award certificate specified in this announcement, no extra remuneration will be paid. The prizewinner need to bear the individual income tax, which will be withheld by the organizer.
6. Entry Fees: Free.
(1) Submission of works: August 20 – September 30, 2019
(2) Review of works: October 1- October 10, 2019
(3) Light show at UABB (Shenzhen) opening and award ceremony: December 14, 2019 (TBD)
IV. Review and Selection
1. Review Committee
The review committee consists of chief curators of UABB (Shenzhen), experts recommended by the New Media Public Art Committee of Shenzhen City of Design Promotion Association, and those by the Government departments.
2. Selection Method
The review committee will evaluate and score the valid entries, and select no more than 11 winning works.
V. Design fee for the winning entries
1.The winning entries of the competition will have the opportunity to be displayed on the facade of the buildings in the CBD area of Shenzhen. Before the performance, the ranking of the works and the name of the team will be displayed.
2. After the end of the competition, the organizer will continue to display and promote the winning works and authored teams on well-known platforms at home and abroad, such as TV, internet, print or broadcast media.
VII. Contact Information
Consultant for submission: Ms. Li
Tel: 0755-22210497 ext. 807；13724392836
Email: [email protected]
Mailing address: Room 511, Building 6, Nanhai e-Cool, Shekou Area, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China.