Overview of Award
In 2018, Seoul City declared itself the “Human City Design Seoul”.
The ‘Human City Design Seoul’ Declaration is a response to what the world needs now, with our society convinced that we must overcome the harmful effects of human alienation or materialism or environmental problems, and design a sustainable urban environment in which people can enjoy creative lives.
It is the wish of the Seoul Metropolitan Government and of the Seoul Design Foundation that Seoul can serve as a window for communication in building an urban ecosystem where men and nature coexist and as a platform for joint prosperity where the sustainability and well-being of the cultural community is sought after.
With this hope, the “Human City Design Awards” are presented to designers or groups that have contributed to building a more harmonious and sustainable relationship between men and men, between men and society, between men and the environment, and between men and nature by tackling urban environmental issues and by presenting a new vision through creative design.
Title of Award
Human City Design Award 2019
Design for Sustainable City for a harmonious relationship between human and the environment
To establish a sustainable city ecosystem for a harmonious relationship between people and the environment through design To discuss design as a creative solution of complex social problems in the city and expand design’s healing effects around the worldTo make the design sector contribute to the development of mankind
Projects that contribute to a more harmonious and sustainable relationship between people and people, people and society, people and the environment and people and nature
Seoul Metropolitan Government
Seoul Design Foundation
Human Cities Network, World Design Organization (WDO), The UNESCO Creative Cities Network, Korean Federation of Design Associations etc.
Individuals or organizations in the design sector with the recommendations of nations, local city governments, design-related universities and design-related associationsIndividuals or organizations who have five or more years of experience in design-related field
Dates (Korean Standard Time)
- Official Announcement I 27 June 2019 (Thur.) ~ 06 August 2019 (Tue.)
- 1st Registration I 08 July 2019 (Mon.) ~ 06 August 2019 (Tue.)
- 1st Review I 07 August 2019 (Wed.) ~ 11 August 2019 (Sun.)
- 2nd Registration I 12 August 2019 (Mon.) ~ 16 August 2019 (Fri.)
- 2nd Review I 17 August 2019 (Sat.) ~ 21 August 2019 (Wed.)
- Final Review (including Site Verification) I 22 August 2019 (Thur.) ~ 03 September 2019 (Tue.)
- Announcement of Winner I Early September 2019
- Award Ceremony : 26 September 2019 (Thur.)
- Selection : Grand Prize for One Winner [Human City Grand Prize] (※ Except one winner, Benefits of award will be awarded to around 10 people who qualified at a 1st review)
- Prize Money : Prize Money 100,000,000 won (KRW) [Including Tax] * Worth 85,000 USD (variable according to the rate of exchange)
- Benefits of award
- Participation as a speaker at 2019 Seoul Design Week International Conference
- Support for exhibition at 2019 Seoul Design Week “Human City Design Award”
- Support for a visit to 2019 Seoul Design Week (airfare and lodging expenses)